I've been home now almost a week

hey yall, i love you and think you are the best.

Last thursday on the 4th i got home from the mission. When i got off the airplane and came through the gate and saw my family it was sooo sooo surreal. the whole experience was ultra surreal. like, i felt like i was watching a movie of me getting off the airplane. Everyone was hugging me and crying and i was like "whaaat where am i??" afterwards we went to president Johnson's house and we had a short talk about goals and retaining good mission habits, and then all of a sudden he looks at me very seriously and says "Elder Grilliot, I am officially relieving you from your service as a full time missionary, please remove your name tags." and i took them off. very very very surreal. That is the best word for it all, surreal.
Now i'm home in Illinois with my family that i love and i've been able to see my friends from high school and it's been a good time. Coming home from the mission was not what i expected i would say. for me it has been much easier than i anticipated. a lot of people have told me about how difficult it was for them to be alone or not sure what to do with their time, but for me this week has felt very very familiar.
I'm surprised at how different everything is, but i'm even more surprised at how everything is the same. mostly people look a little bit older, they gained weight or lost weight. they have put in new stop signs (the stop signs blink at you now). my parent's house is a little different, they put in new carpet or moved some stuff around. But really it's all almost exactly as i left it. I talk with my sister Sarah, and it feels like i've known her all my life. or I'll drive somewhere on my own, and I instinctively check my blind spot before changing lanes (i hadn't driven in two years). Everything feels very familiar and natural. I would say the culture shock of going to mexico was like an 8/10. and the culture shock of coming back to america was like a 2/10.
Even though many things have not changed at home, I can tell that i've changed. My perspective has changed radically and for the better because of my mission. I feel like a wiser kinder Todd. Now that i'm home, i can see much more clearly how much the mission has changed me and helped me to grow. it's really awesome actually.

This week, since coming home, i've done a lot of visiting. I've seen my high school friends a couple times and I love those guys so much. I have worked a little bit for a family in the ward doing farm work for the kiesters. they are super cool. Also I really enjoy the farm work and it makes me seriously consider getting a little farm when i'm older.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With Love from Mexico